- Philips Hue white ambiance soon available in E14 candle
- New technology partners support getting a good night’s sleep
Eindhoven, the Netherlands – Philips Lighting (Euronext Amsterdam ticker: LIGHT), a global leader in lighting, today announced the new Philips Hue white ambiance E14 candle light bulb, in conjunction with World Sleep Day (March 17), an annual event highlighting important issues related to sleep. Light has a profound impact on regulating the human body’s 24-hour circadian rhythm and plays a critical role in how people wake up and fall asleep. Philips Hue white ambiance can support a better night’s sleep by automatically and slowly dimming down two hours before bed, using the Philips Hue app. Then, in the morning, you can wake up more gently, having set the lights to gradually brighten, mimicking the sunrise.
“Going to sleep isn’t a simple ON/OFF switch,” explains Luc Schlangen, Scientist at Philips Lighting Research. “Being consistent with our sleep schedule and establishing the right bedroom environment all play a role in helping ensure we are getting the best quality sleep possible. Philips Hue white ambiance is perfect for bedside lamps (and ceiling fans), so you can use connected lighting to help benefit your sleeping patterns. It provides a certain level of light, when getting ready for bed in the evening and during the night, that has minimal impact on your natural production of the sleep supporting hormone melatonin. Thus helping you to sleep better and feel more refreshed in the morning. Now with the release of the E14 candle, you have more opportunities to utilize Philips Hue white ambiance throughout your home.”
Sleep supporting apps
Philips Lighting encourages developers to create applications that interoperate with Philips Hue. From third-party apps and wearable technology to internet services and connected home solutions. Through a vibrant developer program there are more than 600 third-party apps for Philips Hue. The following third party apps focus on increasing the quality of those all-important sleeping hours:
- Sleep Cycle - With the Sleep Cycle app you now can analyze the quality of your sleep, and use Philips Hue white ambiance to wake you up at the optimal moment
- Sleep as Android, developed by Urbandroid Team - With Sleep as Android, you can use your wearable or contact-less sleep tracking device using Sonar technology to bring your wellbeing to a new level. Using your sleep monitoring data and Sleep as Android app, Philips Hue white ambiance will wake you up at the perfect time based on your sleep pattern
A better night’s rest
Combine your sleep technology with good habits to ensure a sufficient amount of rest each evening. Schlangen advises consumers to do the following to get their beauty sleep:
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule: our biological clock is not as flexible as we think; it can only shift by about 1 hr. per day. When we try to shift our sleeping patterns beyond this limit, we will experience jet-lag-like symptoms. We are creatures of habit and establishing a consistent bedtime routine will help you fall asleep easier and function better when it is time to wake up
- Unwind and set the right ambiance: setting the right ambiance with reduced levels of warmer, sunset-like shades of white light before bedtime supports the production of the sleep hormone melatonin, thereby enhancing our sleep quality
- Tone down the use of technology before bed: try to avoid intense light with cool blue tones, as these would suppress the sleep hormone. Tuck away your mobile phone, computer or tablet, and avoid stress or overstimulation prior to bedtime, as these can disrupt your ability to fall asleep
Control your lighting, your way
The Philips Hue white ambiance E14 candle light bulb is controllable via your smartphone, switch, wearables, or other smart accessories. It provides a broad spectrum of white light; from a cool, bright light, perfect for when you need to concentrate, through to a warm light for when you want to create a cozy ambiance. You can personalize your lighting based on your mood or activity, choosing from four different light recipes: energize, read, concentrate, and relax. The Wake Up & Go function can help to sync your sleep routine with your biological clock, while the Nightlight feature creates a warm, low light if you need to get up in the middle of the night.
Philips Hue white ambiance E14 candle single bulb is available for EUR 34.95. Available in Europe by the end of April and North America later this year.
Learn more about how light affects sleep and energy levels here: